The One Day Seminars are brought to you through a partnership between the American Institute for Economic Research (AIER) and FTE.
The AIER-FTE One Day Seminars are designed as content and activity-rich professional development programs, geared toward a variety of teachers and grade levels. They may be scheduled during the week or on Saturdays, both online and in-person. There is no cost to attend a One Day Seminar thanks to our generous partners and co-sponsors.
The One Day Seminars qualify for one graduate hour credit in economics from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs for an additional fee. Please see the UCCS Optional Graduate Credit page for further information.
Program topics include:
- Economics of Disasters – curriculum examines a variety of natural disasters – from the Black Death to modern hurricanes – through the lens of economic analysis. The material is cross-curricular and can be adapted in economics, history, and other social studies disciplines.
- Economic Demise of the Soviet Union – explains why the Soviet economy collapsed and how it relates to features within our own economy. Classroom lessons and activities provided.
- Fundamentals of Environmental Economics – for upper elementary through high school teachers who teach science and social science. No prior economics background required.
- Issues of International Trade/Understanding Global Economic Issues – for teachers incorporating global economic trade concepts into their classes. Focus is on current issues. Highly interactive with both content and pedagogical instruction.
- Making Sense of the Federal Budget, Debt and Deficits – examines issues related to the federal budget, debt and deficits in light of incentives, costs, and benefits. Interactive lessons to apply in either a traditional or virtual classroom.
The One Day Seminars may be co-sponsored with State Councils/Centers for Economic Education, as well as individual school districts. Please see the co-sponsor link at the right for details.
For additional information, please contact Don Fell, FTE Professor and Director of the One Day Seminars, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPCOMING ONE DAY SEMINARS
|Course Topic||Date / Time||Location||Local Co-Sponsor||Available Stipends||Registration Status|
|Fundamentals of Environmental Economics||June 9, 2021 8:30a-3:30p||Las Vegas, NV||Nevada Department of Education||$200||OPEN|
|Fundamentals of Environmental Economics||July 27, 2021 8:30a-3:30p||Belleville, PA||Belleville Mennonite School District||$200||OPEN|
|Understanding Global Economic Issues||August 11, 2021 8:30a-3:30p||Farmington, MI||Farmington Public Schools||$200||OPEN|
|Fundamentals of Environmental Economics||August 17, 2021 8:30a-3:30p||Oceanport, NJ||New Jersey Council on Economic Education||$200||OPEN|
|Understanding Global Economic Issues||August 27, 2021 8:30a-3:30p||Chattanooga, TN||Tennessee Council on Economic Education||one day of sub fees and stipend||OPEN|
The One Day virtual seminar Making Sense of the Federal Budgets, Debts, and Deficits scheduled on May 1 is currently full and has been closed to new registrations. Further details about this program will be emailed the week of April 25th.